Orac 2.0 for Organelle

The second version of Orac.

for more details , see my videos on you tube,
in particular this one which is an overview of changes.

please post all questions/issues/feedback at C&G forum:

requisites:
– Organelle OS 3.1
– Pure Data 0.49

for remote control you will need MEC

and the remote clients

Author
1151 PM
Chat about this patch on Discord! Download (1091) Source Code
Appreciate 16
15 comments on “Orac 2.0 for Organelle
  • miketodd on said:

Installed fine and recognized push, but I’m unable to get any reaction from pressing the pads. They organelle keys output sound fine, but if I’m on the same patch page on the push pressing the pads doesn’t seem to trigger any notes. Any trick to this?

• miketodd on said:

I’m also getting a “crash” on the push after using it for a bit, screen goes blank and pads stay lit. Not really sure what causes it.

• miketodd on said:

Restarted everything and it seems working and stable.

• giacecco on said:

Hi Technobear, I’m new to orac so I’m learning version 2.0 directly using your video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mywEOeth40Y . I’ve just tried using the new “Dest” features in the Main Controls, but it’s not working for me: whatever I set there, I always need to go back to selecting the instrument I want to use the keyboard with. I’ve documented the issue here https://youtu.be/y8TcCfmfnfo .

In general, is this the best place to document issues or bugs? Thanks!

• giacecco on said:

Another potential issue documented in this video https://youtu.be/-tDuQjVcBHc . I can’t get “Note thru” to work, while I could use it in orac 1.x. I’ve noticed that “Note thru” is not on by default in orac 2.0, but that is not the problem. Please help!

• giacecco on said:

I’ve found another potential issue documented in this video https://youtu.be/-tDuQjVcBHc , this time apparently related to “Note thru”. I could use it in orac 1.x, but I can’t get it to work in 2.0. I’ve noticed that “Note thru” is not on by default in orac 2.0, but that is not the problem. Please help!

• giacecco on said:

Sorry for the duplicates above. It is an issue with Patchstorage used from a mobile phone. When posting it says that the post is a duplicate, and cancels it… but – as you can see – it posts it anyway :-(

• Lurfser12 on said:

In the intro video you mention being able to make a Max For Live Patch, where can I find more info on how to do that?

• giacecco on said:

[DEST ISSUE SOLVED] The first “bug” I described above, about the “Dest” feature: it was caused by *not* upgrading to Pure Data 0.49, so my fault! “Note thru” not working is still unsolved.

• Paolonimus on said:

I get weird results by MIDI learning parameters that are not percentages. The parameter changes randomly.

Also, I don’t know if this happens also in the non ORAC versions, all the mono synths release the current note when releasing an old one. So this makes very difficult to play legatos.

• greaterthanzero on said:

@Lurfser12,

There’s a bit of a “catch 22” there, in that you’ll have to make one of its existing environments work first, to learn which messages it’s sending and receiving, and where those are being sent and received from.

…at which point, there’s somewhat less urgency.

—–

Anyway, you’ll need the [udpsend] and [udpreceive] objects, and some way to parse OSC syntax from your incoming messages and format your outgoing messages correctly. (This mostly means splitting a string into a list of words, and combining a list of words back into a string) I’d personally use Javascript, but there’s a pair of objects in the CNMAT externals package which are often used for this. Check the package manager.

But, yeah. Take a look at the provided source code. Either you’ll instantly know what to do with it, or you’ve got a steep learning curve ahead. There isn’t much middle ground.

The good news is, it’s a lot of the same thing. So, once you’re connecting and sending messages back and forth, you just have to do more of that.

One more hint: Don’t leave the original source code open for reference while you’re making your version. Everything will break if max isn’t the only thing trying to connect to those ports.

And on a related note: Never open two instances of the resulting m4l device simultaneously. Ever. Just don’t.

—–

Worth reiterating: This isn’t a tool for live performance. You’re configuring and saving a preset, to load and run later without need of an editor. (That will become more obvious once you actually start working with it.)

Also, you’re probably not sending MIDI into orac from Live itself, as connecting two USB MIDI Hosts to each other is less straightforward than you might hope.

So… you’re configuring a preset in Live for some reason, and then reaching for a MIDI controller that isn’t connected to the computer running Live.

If that’s what you want, more power to you. But, it might be worth confirming that before climbing this mountain.

• thetechnobear on said:

yeah, as noted above, please use the C&G thread for comments/issues….
    as this is now multi-platform, Im already having to check multiple forums
    i dont have time to check here as well. (also it better to build a community in one place)

—–

M4L, yeah, you would not use this display osc protocol,
    there is a proper oscillator protocol what makes not no assumptions about how the data is used, or if its used for display /control

(this is what is used by the Push2 , and why it can look very different to everything elsE)

the basics are covered in this document, but its out of date,
    but if you understand what it says, and then just do an oscdump of messages you’ll see its very obvious what’s needed.

(at some point, i will of course update this!)

p.s you do NOT need to start delving into Orac or MEC code to understand this, and id advice against it
    you only need to look at the OSC messages, that can be sent/received.
    if you need more info let me know, though I’ma bit limited on time at the moment (for obvious reasons)

p.s. the reason the ‘display osc protocol’ exists, is it simpler to use if you just want to replicate the screen – and have limited OSC processing abilities (like lemur) .
    so its a trade off, simple to use, but limited in what can be done.

• Wildebeast1 on said: