What happens to a medium when exposed to a single droplet of water? How about a dozen drops? And what exactly does it mean for water to be shallow? Is it able to emerge from the depths? And where do the ripples go? This patch aims to find out.
Based on the Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water, this patch is an exploration of modulation and filter topology. Thanks to virtualpt for the initial starting point, I expanded on their patch and enhanced it to true stereo. See here for the original: https://patchstorage.com/deep-water/.
This manual has an excellent reference schematic: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0234/8231/files/KFM-specs.pdf?11739322096957905343
All controls apply to both ZOIA and Zebu versions, unless otherwise noted.
CONTROL PAGE – knobs and buttons
Rate (value) – LFO speed. CW is faster.
Damp (value) – Modulation response. CW is smoother.
Depth (value) – LFO depth. CW is more.
LPG (value) – Amount of filter modulation. CW is more.
Mix (value) – Wet/dry mix. Goes full wet at 100%.
Volume (value) – Overall patch volume.
Resonance (value). LPF resonance amount. CW is more.
Freq bias (value). Sets the minimum frequency on the LPF, similar to the internal trimpot on the pedal.
External mod level (value). Attenuverter for incoming CV, mixes with internal modulation source. -Zebu only-
Stompswitches (ZOIA only)
Pushbuttons (Zebu only)
– Left: Noise, toggles presence of noise in the signal patch (internal source uses envelope modulation).
CV inputs and outputs (Zebu only)
– In 1: Resonance, use knob control as bias point for incoming CV.
– In 2: Noise VCA level, only applies when Noise button is active.
– In 3: Mix, use knob control as bias point for incoming CV.
– In 4: External modulation in, works with External mod level attenuverter.
– Out 1: Envelope modulation (uses input 1 as source).
– Out 2: Inverted envelope modulation.
– Out 3: Internal random/slewed LFO.
– Out 4: Inverted internal random/slewed LFO.
MODULATION PAGE – CV routing
See schematic for details but essentially the modulation for the vibrato and filter is set here using two random clocked LFO’s and a set of CV logic (multipliers, CV filters, etc).
IO PAGES – audio routing
Stereo in, 2x Haas stereo spread for vibrato, Noise source (Zebu only), 12dB LPF (6dB for Zebu version), audio balance for wet/dry mix, compressor, dual OD (pushed), stereo output with gain control. Comp and overdrives are on the following page.
1.2 Added Zebu version. Both patches will work on either unit, the split was made so they are optimized accordingly. Updated patch notes.
1.1 Added minimum LPF frequency control. Adjusted defaults a bit.
1.0 Initial patch upload. Patch requires ZOIA fw >= 2.0